by Angeline Yeoh, Consultant Dietitian Nutritionist
General tips to reduce chronic inflammation and diseases include:
- Avoid oils. Oils used in the fast food restaurants have been repeated used for over hundred times in a day and are highly inflammatory.
- Avoid deep fried foods.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates and sugar. Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, most of the packaged sugary cereals, white sugar, muffins, cookies, chocolates have a high glycaemic index (GI) due to their low fibre content and may promote chronic inflammation.
- Choose colourful whole foods such as fresh fruit, vegetables, wholegrains, legumes and nuts and seeds that highly anti-inflammatory.
- Take probiotics (friendly gut bacteria) to help promote healthy gut.
- Eat Organic (whenever possible). There are more than 80,000 harmful chemicals have been used in the agricultural industries today. Eating them may impair our immune systems. Check out EWG’s Dirty Dozen Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce (https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php) for the top most sprayed fruit and vegetable list.